On 20 September 2016, DPA hosted this one-day Inclusive Communication Workshop, which aimed to expand participants’ understanding of inclusive communication as well as to help participants develop strategies in tackling communication barriers. The workshop was delivered by Nina Munday, former DPA Diversity & Inclusion Consultant, Founder and Director of Embody Global Consultancy and Manager of Fife Centre for Equalities in Scotland.
The Learning Outcomes of this Course were
- Better understanding of ethos and values of inclusive communication;
- Increased awareness and ability to identify communication barriers;
- Better knowledge of different types of inclusive communication;
- Being confident in applying inclusive communication in the workplace
During the programme, participants looked at why inclusive communication matters, organisational ethos and values, range of communication barriers, personal experience of negative and positive communication; how to develop an inclusive communication practice.
The following organisations were represented:
- Aquatic Educator of Persons with Special Needs
- LearnIn Pte Ltd
- THK Pan-Disability Centre
- Cerebral Palsy Alliance Singapore
- Able Thrive
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic Business and Social Enterprise
- Disabled People’s Association
The majority of participants scored the workshop very highly; 5 or 4 on the content, delivery and accessibility. Participants were asked to score their own knowledge before and after the workshop and the results demonstrated a significant improvement of their knowledge as a result of this workshop
This workshop benefited greatly from the engagement and contributions from the participants. It is encouraging to learn that the participants felt they gained knowledge and understanding on inclusive communication. Their feedback will help improve the design for future courses.
The full evaluation report is available here.